Diseases & Conditions
The UofL Physicians Emergency Medicine practice provides initial care and assessment for a full range of emergency conditions, including but not limited to:
- Heart attacks and heart conditions
- Stroke and neurologic conditions
- Burns and environmental injuries and exposures
- Shock due to medical diagnosis
- Infections — systemic and superficial
- Traumatic injuries and wounds
- Broken bones and hand injuries
- Respiratory disease, such as asthma and COPD
- Toxicological and poisoning emergencies
- Psychiatric emergency initial assessment
- Initial assessment of woman’s emergencies
Treatments & Services
UofL Physicians-Emergency Medicine provides initial contact, triage and assessment as members of the multidisciplinary Level 1 Trauma specialty team. This multidisciplinary team approach is immediately available 24/7 for all patients and utilizes the most up-to-date techniques and equipment. Advanced diagnostics, including ultrasound and sophisticated imaging techniques, are available to provided superior care for complex patients requiring multiple surgical specialists. The surgical teams have operation rooms and other facilities immediately available in order to provide the full breadth of trauma care.
Unique aspects of the UofL Hospital include the regions only decontamination room and burn center. Burns, regardless of electrical or thermal, require unique capabilities that are provided by the emergency physicians and surgical teams. Decontamination and toxicological specialties are also available.
Cardiac life support and resuscitation are our specialties, and all UofL Physicians have experience providing care for acute cardiac conditions. Emergent cardiac catheterization intervention is provided by the on-call cardiology team as necessary, and is coordinated with the Emergency Department.
Stroke specialists are available to the UofL Physicians-Emergency Medicine, including advanced imaging and an in-house stroke specialty response team. The stroke specialists utilize advanced stroke techniques.