As the only dedicated adult burn unit in the region, UofL Hospital’s Burn Unit is committed to educating our community on burn and fire safety.
Statistics show that 72 percent of all burns happen at home. We’d like to share the following Top 10 Tips to keep you and your family safe. Please keep these in mind throughout the year.
- Ensure your home has a working smoke detector and change the batteries twice a year (it’s easy to remember to change batteries in the fall and the spring when you are changing the times on your clocks).
- Make a home fire escape plan and practice with your family monthly.
- Never use gas, lighter fluid or any accelerant to start a fire!
- For a grease or oil fire, slide a pan lid over the flames to smother it, then turn the heat off. Leave the lid in place until the pan cools. Never carry the pan outside.
- If you smoke, smoke outside. Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
- Burning yard waste is a fire hazard. Check for fire permit requirements and restricted burning times.
- Keep your water heater temperature at or below 120? Fahrenheit to protect your family from scald burns.
- Replace all damaged electrical cords immediately and DO NOT overload electrical outlets.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher in any area where a fire is possible.
- Smoke and gases in a burning home can burn your lungs. If you’re home catches fire, get out and stay Out! Never go back into a burning building.